Beginning of Film History

Dominic Mayhall

Beginning of Film History

    There have been many important inventors and visionaries to come and work on videography or film as a whole. Some of which are more important than others. And a couple of these inventors contributed more to the development of film making than some. I'll be ranking who I believe is the most influential, from first to last.

    For my number one most important film figure I have to go with Eadweard Muybridge and his invention of the zoopraxiscope. He really started it all with "motion picturing." All by putting those pictures on a clear disk, then using the zoopraxiscope to have it spin around giving the effect that it's moving. And from this he held the first public motion picture exhibition. Which later on Thomas Edison, who I'm not fond of, would take inspiration from to help create the first motion picture camera. 

    In my number two spot I'm going with the Lumiere brothers. Their invention of the Cinematographe which functioned as both a camera and a projector sounds really advanced for 1895. And the first time that a group of people could watch something together then just one at a time. They were used to make documentary films and could be bought and used as a profession. These brothers are high on my list because of how popular they made the Cinematographe that even I know about it. It was well known within months of being revealed and that amazes me for technology invented in the 19th century. 

    Now for my number three, I'm rolling with Edwin S Porter. I chose him for three mostly because of the terms he coined for certain camera operations. Operations like cross cutting, pan, and tilt which are still used in videography today. I also respect that he built his career from the bottom up. Starting with programming music and scripts for Edison films. To being hired by Edison and then running production of Edison films. As well as being the guy to use the first closeup shot. And at the end of it all, creating a well-known movie called "The Great Train Robbery."

    In my number four slot is George Melies. I wish I didn't have to put this man so low, because I'm really impressed by some of his work. He took the Animatograph and reversed engineered it into a motion picture camera. Hearing that alone is just mind blowing to me. Plus, he was good enough to accidentally discover hidden cuts which worked out in his advantage. I like everything I've heard from him so far, especially his work "A Trip to the Moon." I've never heard the title but recognized the moon with a bullet in its eye right away. I've seen that everywhere in today's pop culture.

    And last but least, my number four spot, is Thomas Edison. I really don't think he did anything for film and videography. I could see him providing money to William Dickson to create the Kinetograph. And all Edison wanted was for his name to be credited with the invention. There's nothing else I can say about Edison that I like. I personally think he's a shady businessman that rips off actual inventors. I know he's invented some things, but over 1000 patents is impossible for one man alone to create. 

    I enjoyed the first weeks lesson a lot. I've always been super into film and videography since I can remember. Probably since I was 7, recording videos with my older brother through a camcorder or an Ipod touch. And now I'm finally learning about the history of film and that excites me. I hope you enjoyed my thoughts and ranking of these inventors. And can't wait to see what's in store for next week.
    
    

    

    

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birth of a Nation and it's Legacy

Gold Diggers and M